Friday, July 13, 2007

Finding Good in the Bad...


I live in NJ, but for the past few months, I practically live in Philly. Normally, I LOVE going into Philly. Shows, shopping, dining, concerts, sporting events...it has tons to offer. However, I have become well-acquainted with the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, which is a complex of buildings taking up a couple blocks....why?

My father was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer, in mid-May, and since then, I have accompanied my parents to all the tests and Dr. visits, averaging twice a week. My father is now on a schedule, receiving chemo once every 3 weeks, with a couple tests and a Dr. visit in between each dose. Between the drive (or sometimes train ride)and all the waiting to see doctors, it starts to drain you, as a supporting family member.

That is nothing compared to the emotional drain of the constant roller coaster cancer forces you on. Bad news, then good news, then more bad news, then waiting forever for test results, then bad news mixed with good news, then the waiting and wondering what will work and what won't. This has taken a huge toll on the family's energy...However, it hasn't taken away our spirit and our hope. The weirdest twist of all: we have had more time, connection, laughs and talks than ever. We are living so in the moment.

Another amazing thing has happened, too. We have all been overwhelmed by the kindness of people around us. Some of my closest friends have drawn me closer, and have been more present than ever, even though they don't know what to say. My father's friends from now and from long ago are doing the same, showing up at his door and reminiscing their good times...reminding my dad of how much he has survived, and thrived, in his 63 years. This has done wonders for my dad. Everywhere I go, people ask about "Lou." Every single person at Jefferson Hospital has been wonderful! They go the extra mile to comfort you and assure you. We've gotten to know quite a few of them, and they remember my dad. I also have good friends, online, on Body for Life Tracker, that I've never met in person. They have supported me and brought me so much comfort. They are an amazing bunch of truly good-hearted people, and I genuinely care about them, too!


I am not unique in my experiences, but we all handle our experiences in unique ways. My mom's motto is "it's all about fun!" It's a good way to be. I'm slowly adopting that motto. If you really look, you can find good stuff within almost any sort of experience. It may seem like a total tragedy, when it's happening, and you might chalk everything up as a loss...but you'll miss some precious opportunities to learn and grow if you curl up and play the victim. I don't believe that everything happens for a reason...I've never liked that saying. Bad stuff happens, it's nothing personal. However, we are not helpless creatures. We learn, we adapt, we survive, and we can even thrive amidst the chaos that occurs.

No comments: