Sunday, October 7, 2007

My First 5K Race

I trained all summer, during my challenge, to run in a 5K race. I never was a runner. I always hated running. My goal was to do it, and like it! I used a program called "Couch to 5K" on the website coolrunning.com. It was 9 weeks long, and I followed it the the letter. It really worked for me!! I ran in Brittany's Run for Your Health. I ran the race in my best time ever: 26:36 I placed 2nd in my age group (30-39). I was so excited!! My dad wasn't well, that day, so because he couldn't come watch me, I wore his gold medal and chain around my neck for my race. I told him I would carry him across the finish line, with me. I can't tell you how good it felt to set this race as a goal, and then complete it, winning a medal and everything! Oh! Nurse Crachett is what my dad calls me, because I go along to every doctor appointment and procedure, and I ask questions and take notes. He means "Nurse Ratched" from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." Nice, huh? I love it! Here's a slideshow of the race day.

No comments: